About the River
Llano is Spanish for "plains," and the double L is pronounced as a Y. However the common pronunciation of Llano by the locals is LAN-OH. The river's north and south forks join near Junction, and from there it flows a hundred miles southeast until draining into the Colorado River. Miles and miles of the Llano River are filled with granite boulders and granite-rifted channels, with thickened islands. During the rainy season in the past, the river would become impassable for weeks at a time.
The Fisher-Miller Grant stretches between the Llano River and the Colorado River westward almost to Pecos. A grant of 3,800,000 acres from the Texas Republic was made in 1842. The land was purchased by the German Emigration Company in 1844. The first German settlements were made around 1850.
City & County Beginnings
The City of Llano was founded on the Llano River in 1855. The County of Llano was formed in 1856 and Llano named the county seat. The Llano River courses centrally through the county. Llano remained on the edge of the frontier until 1875. In the early 1800s, many settlements were made along the Llano River and today many historical markers are on display at the sites of the settler's endeavors.